This Month (November) in 1954…
Around the World:
– On November 3rd, Tokyo moviegoers were treated to the film Godzilla!
– Two days later, the Japanese Empire and Burma signed a peace treaty that officially ends a long-ended war.
– On November 14th the Egyptian president was deposed and replaced by Gamal Abdel Nasser.
– The Dow Jones closed up 3.27 points on November 23rd to close at an all time high of 382.74.
– On November 30th, a piece of a meteorite crashed through a roof in Sylacauga, Alabama, and injured a sleeping woman.
– Film fans were treated to The Last Time I Saw Paris on November 18th, a romantic drama loosely based on an F. Scott Fitzgerald short, directed by Richard Brooks. It stars Elizabeth Taylor and Van Johnson. Van Johnson plays Charles Wills, a journalist for Stars and Stripes covering the celebrations after World War II. He is kissed by a beautiful woman who then vanishes — and he decides to look for her!
– On November 25th, the British film An Inspector Calls, directed by Guy Hamilton, debuted in America. It’s set in 1912, where a dinner party held by an upper-class family is interrupted by a Police Inspector who is investigating a suicide — tied to each of them!